Safe, reliable service is what you expect from your gas furnace, but this isn’t always what you get when you turn your thermostat up on a cold morning. Here are some important warning signs your gas furnace needs a repair. If you call for expert help as soon as you notice a problem, you can save some money and reduce the amount of time you’re without heat.
- You turn your thermostat up and the furnace doesn’t come on. Your problem may be as simple as a dead programmable thermostat battery, as inexpensive as a broken thermostat, or something more serious like a burned-out blower motor or a failed electronic ignitor. Check your thermostat batteries and the power supply to your furnace, then call for expert help.
- You hear unusual noises when your furnace is running. High-pitched squeals or grinding noises might indicate worn-out fan belts or motor bearings. Banging or popping noises might be caused by ducts expanding and contracting.
- The gas burns yellow instead of blue. A yellow flame indicates incomplete combustion, which can be caused by dirty burner tips, inadequate air supply or ineffective exhaust of combustion gases. To keep your family safe from carbon monoxide poisoning, have your pilot light, burner, heat exchanger and exhaust flue inspected and repaired as needed.
- Your utility bill shows an unexpected increase. Increasing fuel and electric bills in the absence of price increases or unusually cold weather could indicate that your furnace is losing its efficiency. There might be several causes for this, including poor combustion, leaky ductwork, or a dirty air filter. Call your HVAC tech for help.
- Your indoor air quality declines. If you smell gas or fumes inside your home, or if your family members start having unusual health complaints, such as headaches, dizziness, or allergy symptoms, call your HVAC pro immediately to check for a blocked vent flue, dirty burner tips, dirty air filters or other conditions that might be causing poor indoor air quality.
If you suspect that your Calgary home has a gas furnace problem, call Arpi’s Industries, Ltd. for expert troubleshooting and repairs.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Calgary, Alberta about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Yuriy-Vlasenko/Shutterstock”