You’ve spent valuable time making sure your home is tightly sealed by caulking, insulating, and cleaning ducts. Because a tightly-sealed home provides a refuge from drafts and wind, there’s a chance your home may now be too airtight to allow for fresh air circulation. Ventilation systems are the solution.
Ventilation systems are a great way to ensure fresh air circulation. Air recirculation allows for fresh, outdoor air to come in and for stale, polluted or contaminated air to go out. This is accomplished several ways:
- Natural Ventilation: The “old fashioned” way to bring in fresh air is to simply open the doors and windows.
- Mechanical Ventilation: This system includes things like fans in your kitchen or bathrooms but is typically not recommended for colder climates because of the amount of moisture in these regions.
- Whole-House Ventilation Systems: These systems go the extra mile by balancing air circulation and decreasing energy loss.
Whole-house ventilation systems typically provide the most bang for your fresh-air system buck. The overview below will give you an idea of some products on the market that are worth checking out:
- Lennox Healthy Climate Electronic Air Cleaner. Cleans 94 percent of particles, 1 micron in size.
- Lennox PureAir Air Purification System. Removes all classes of contaminants particles, bioaerosols, and VOCs, 1 micron in size; traps 50 percent of pollutants; attacks odors.
- MERV 10. Works with your current HVAC equipment to trap 85 percent of allergens, 10 microns in size.
- MERV 16. Includes the most efficient media filter on the market; at least 95 percent of particles and bioareosols removed, 0.3 micron in size.
Put your mind at ease about air quality. Consider a fresh air ventilation system that will circulate and distribute fresh air, remove contaminants, increase home comfort, while decreasing energy use and saving you money.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about ventilation and other HVAC topics, click here to download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Arpi’s services Calgary, Alberta. To get started, check out our website or see our special offers.