After a long Calgary winter, spring is finally within reach. As you’re poring over your spring to-do list, make sure annual cooling service is near the top. Yearly preventive maintenance on your air conditioner will benefit you in five major ways:
- Lowers your cooling costs. A tuned-up air conditioner operates considerably more efficiently than one that has been neglected and costs less to operate.
- Improves the system’s dependability. Air conditioners often break down during the hottest time of summer, when they’re working the hardest to keep you cool. Annual maintenance helps ensure your air conditioner does its job all summer long.
- Extends the life of your system. Much like your car, your air conditioner needs a tune-up to tighten loose connections and belts and check for other problems and damage. A yearly tune-up can extend the life of your air conditioner by five years or more.
- Improves your air conditioner’s efficiency. Dust buildup, loose connections and damaged components can make your air conditioner work harder to keep you cool, resulting in higher utility bills and the likelihood that you’ll soon be faced with expensive repairs or the need for a replacement system.
- Ensures safe operation of your system. Preventive maintenance helps ensure your air conditioner won’t overheat, which can cause expensive damage to the system and compromise the safety of you and your family.
Annual cooling service performed by a qualified HVAC professional will include these key points:
- Lubricate the moving parts of the system to prevent damaging friction.
- Test the controls of the air conditioner to ensure it cycles properly.
- Inspect the start and run capacitors for damage.
- Adjust the level of refrigerant and check for leaks.
- Tighten electrical connections and belts.
- Clean and adjust the thermostat to make sure it’s accurate.
- Check the voltage and amperage on the motor.
- Clean the outdoor condensing unit to improve air flow.
For more expert advice about preventive maintenance, or to schedule your annual cooling service, please feel free to contact us at Arpi’s Industries, Ltd., serving the Calgary area with a high level of customer satisfaction for over 50 years.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock