If you’re planning to upgrade the A/C in your Calgary home, a variable-speed air handler is worth considering to help you maximize the benefits of this major investment. The air handler is the cooling system component that’s responsible for sending conditioned air throughout the home.
In comparison to single-speed air handlers that run at maximum output whenever they cycle on, variable-speed units can precisely modulate the amount of airflow. This allows the air handler to adjust its output as cooling needs change, as well as compensate for issues like a dirty air filter, closed registers, long ducting runs or airflow restrictions that would otherwise erode comfort and efficiency.
Advantages of a Variable-Speed Air Handler
An air conditioner equipped with variable-speed technology offers some key advantages over one with a standard air handler, including:
- Significant energy savings: Variable-speed air handlers feature electronically commutated (ECM) motors that provide greater energy efficiency at all speeds. They typically operate on the lowest speed setting about 75 percent of the time and can provide energy savings of up to 80 percent compared to a single-speed unit.
- Consistent cooling: A variable-speed unit that’s running on low for longer periods can keep a home at a more even, consistent temperature than a single-speed A/C that cycles on full blast then shuts off completely.
- Reduced wear and tear: The almost continuous operation of a variable-speed air handler eliminates extra wear caused by frequent on-off cycling, which can help extend the service life of critical system components.
- Healthier indoor air quality: With longer run cycles, your home’s air circulates through the air filter more times per day, so more allergens and other unhealthy particles are trapped and kept out of the air supply.
- Less noise: A variable-speed air handler operating on low is whisper quiet compared to a single-speed unit. Since there are fewer stops and starts, you won’t hear the bangs and whooshes of the blower unit cycling on very often either.
To learn more about the benefits of choosing a variable-speed air handler for your Calgary home’s A/C upgrade, contact the comfort pros at Arpi’s Industries Ltd.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Calgary, Alberta about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Christian Delbert/Shutterstock”