It’s getting colder in Calgary, and if you haven’t already turned on your furnace, it won’t be long before it’ll be keeping you warm 24/7. Either way, now is the time to schedule your annual furnace maintenance call, which will benefit you in several key ways:
- Increase the efficiency of your furnace.
- Help prevent breakdowns during the coldest part of the year.
- Lower your utility costs associated with heating your home.
- Extend the operating life of your system.
- Help ensure the safety of your family.
Tune-up tasks vary among different HVAC companies, but a qualified technician from a reputable contractor will ensure these key checkpoints are included in your annual furnace maintenance call:
- Lubricate the moving parts of your system to prevent friction.
- Tighten electrical and gas connections.
- Inspect your ventilation system for obstructions and damage.
- Inspect the wires and terminals for corrosion.
- Test the gas pressure and burner combustion to ensure they meet the system’s specifications.
- Clean the heat exchanger and inspect it for cracks and corrosion.
- Clean the blower assembly and ensure proper airflow.
- Test the system controls to ensure your furnace cycles properly.
- Measure the current and voltage on the motor for efficiency.
- Test for dangerous carbon monoxide leaks.
- Inspect your ductwork for loose joints and obstructions.
- Check your thermostat for accuracy.
Furnace maintenance doesn’t end when your technician packs up and leaves. These essential tasks should be completed before you turn on your furnace this winter:
- Stock up on good-quality furnace filters. Check your air filter every month and replace it with a clean one when it’s caked with dust and debris. A clean filter ensures proper airflow, prevents dust from building up inside your system and helps you maintain optimum indoor air quality.
- Replace the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Push the test button to ensure they’re working properly. Make sure you have one of each on every floor in your home.
To schedule your annual furnace maintenance call with one of our qualified technicians in the Calgary area, please feel free to contact us at Arpi’s Industries, Ltd.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Calgary, Alberta about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about UV lights and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock