With Valentine’s Day upon us, spare a little love for the system that keeps your Calgary area home comfortable and cozy during the hottest and coldest days we see in Alberta. Following are some great ways to love your HVAC system and show appreciation:
- Make sure it has fresh air filters. Even the best heating and cooling systems can’t perform optimally if they’re clogged with dust and dirt. A clogged filter will impede the flow of air through the system, forcing HVAC equipment to work harder and longer to warm or cool your home. It also will allow sensitive HVAC components to get coated with grime, reducing mechanical efficiency.
- Weatherize your home by sealing air leaks and upgrading insulation. If your home has significant air and heat energy transferring between inside and outside, as with the negative effects of a clogged air filter, the HVAC system will be forced to work much harder to create comfort. Use weatherstripping, caulk and spray foam to seal leaks in your home’s outer envelope.
- Schedule a professional maintenance visit annually before the heating season and then another before the cooling season. A well-maintained furnace, heat pump or A/C will work more efficiently and effectively, experience fewer breakdowns and enjoy a longer service life. Consider signing a maintenance agreement with your trusted local HVAC business.
- Invest in a “smart” programmable thermostat that allows you to program energy-saving settings for times when your family is away at work or school all day, or when family members are asleep during cold winter nights. This is another way to love your HVAC system by reducing its workload.
- Inspect accessible ductwork for leaks that allow conditioned air to escape before it arrives at its intended destination. Seal them with quality metal tape and/or duct mastic.
- Make sure vents and registers are clear of obstacles to airflow, such as furniture, rugs, toys, drapes, etc.
These aren’t the only ways to love your HVAC system but they comprise a good start. For more ideas on improving the operation of your home’s heating or cooling equipment, please contact us at Arpi’s Industries.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Calgary, Alberta about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Guide.