Before you go out and spend money on a water heater replacement for the same type and size you already have, consider that you have multiple choices. The two basic water heater types are storage water heaters and tankless water heaters. If you’re not sure which is best for your Calgary home, consider their differences in the following categories.
- Storage water heater: Determine the size of a storage water heater by taking the number of bathrooms and bedrooms into account. For example, a three-bedroom, two-bathroom home needs at least a 50-gallon tank.
- Tankless water heater: Calculate flow rates for the bathroom and kitchen faucets, showers, dishwasher and washing machine. Consider which devices you’re likely to use at the same time to determine the minimum gallons per minute you need the tankless water heater to supply. Bear in mind that tankless models can undersupply hot water during periods of heavy usage.
- Storage water heater: Brand, model and fuel source all play a role in efficiency. Be sure to choose a high-quality model from a trustworthy brand. Natural gas is usually less expensive to operate than an electric water heater.
- Tankless water heater: Expect to reduce water heating consumption by 30 percent if you choose a tankless model over a traditional storage water heater. This is thanks to the total elimination of standby energy loss, since hot water is generated on demand instead of stored until being used.
- Storage water heater: A self-cleaning tank fights sediment buildup; a fast recovery speed heats a full tank of water faster than the average model; and an automatic shutoff valve helps prevent fires.
- Tankless water heater: This option doesn’t require any of the storage water heater’s advanced features since sediment buildup, heat recovery and accidental fires are not a concern. Instead, look for features that maximize hot water output to prevent running out when multiple hot water sources are used simultaneously.
For more information about choosing the right water heater replacement, please contact Arpi’s Industries in Calgary. Our experience providing quality HVAC services to homes and businesses in Alberta dates back 50 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Calgary, Alberta about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about water heaters and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock