Winter brings colder weather and harsher conditions. Your home’s plumbing system is especially vulnerable to the cold and improper preparations can lead to expensive repair and inconvenience. A plumbing checkup every fall keeps your home safe for the winter.
What A Plumbing Checkup Looks For
There are several different parts of your plumbing system that have to be evaluated to ensure they are ready for the winter months. A checkup can include the following tasks.
- Water Heater Flushing: sediments collect in your water heater and because of this it should be flushed every fall. This not only makes your water heater more efficient it can also increase its lifespan as sediment build-up leads to corrosion.
- Pipe Insulation: one of the most common plumbing issue homes encounter during the winter is a lack of insulation. This can cause pipes to become frozen leading to expensive repairs, damage, and make daily living highly frustrating due to a lack of water.
- The Gutter System: your home’s gutter system also helps in the removal of water from your home’s roof. They should be cleaned and checked every fall as blockages can cause water to collect during the winter leading to ice and ice dams which can damage your roof and other parts of your home.
- Sump Pumps: a sump pump is a common part of many homes and is used to remove excess water and prevent damage to your home’s basement. Sump pumps should be checked for functionality and cleaned out.
- Outdoor Plumbing: outdoor plumbing issues include proper storage of hoses and checking outdoor spigots, faucets, and plumbing for any issues. Insulated covers can also protect outdoor faucets from the elements.
A yearly plumbing checkup keeps your home safe for the winter and is not something you should wait until the last minute to have done. Proper preparation keeps your plumbing system working efficiently no matter what the weather may bring. Proudly serving residents of Calgary for over 50 years contact Arpi’s Industries today for more information and to schedule your plumbing checkup.