The same beautiful flowers and blooming shrubs and trees that give some people a great feeling about springtime give many others a miserable feeling that comes from the allergens released into the air. Allergens include any of the things that trigger all those nasty symptoms like runny noses, red eyes and sore throats.
What Causes Springtime Allergies?
In addition to the particles released into the air by plants and shrubs outdoors, many allergies are generated inside the home by dust mites, cockroaches, and even dander from pet dogs or cats. These tiny particles settle on furniture and stay there until some type of cleaning system scoops them up, so once doors or windows are opened, the allergens can come inside and make life miserable.
How to Alleviate Symptoms from Springtime Allergies
There are actually quite a few things that can be done to lessen the effects of springtime allergies, including the following:
- Avoid going outside on windy, dry days that carry allergens – rainy days scrub the air somewhat and make them more tolerable
- Have outdoor chores like lawn mowing done by someone else
- Be aware of forecast pollen counts for the day, and stay indoors on high-count days
- Close doors and windows as much as possible
- Use air conditioning at home and in your car
- Do regular maintenance on air filters and try to install high-efficiency filters
- Vacuum regularly with a vacuum that has a HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filter
- A portable air cleaner with a HEPA filter installed in it may help in the bedroom
- Air cleaners are very effective at de-activating or destroying air pollutants by one of several methods – ultraviolet germicidal irradiation (UVGI), photocatalytic oxidation (PCO), and ozone generators like UV lamps
If you should need expert advice on any home comfort issue, please contact us at Arpi’s Industries Ltd., and let’s discuss it together. We have been providing solutions for home comfort concerns in the Calgary area for more than 55 years, and we’d like to be part of your solution too.