By improving home energy efficiency, you can effectively impact energy bills and control savings throughout the year. Any time your home loses energy, either through air leaks or a HVAC equipment that operates inefficiently, your energy costs will rise.
So, consider taking on a few of the energy-efficiency improvement projects below to lower your energy bills—year-round:
- Seal air leaks – The exterior shell or outer walls of a home have a tendency to leak around window frames, doors, electrical outlets and plumbing protrusions. Using caulk, seal around these leaky areas to keep conditioned air inside.
- Evaluate your home’s insulation – Older homes in particular often require an insulation upgrade to perform properly at keeping hot air out during summer and heated air inside during winter. Contact an expert to assess your home’s insulation, and make upgrades as necessary.
- Use a ceiling fan – During summer, running the ceiling fan allows you to raise your thermostat’s setting and still feel cool. But turn the ceiling fan off when you leave a room, because running it only makes you feel cool when you’re in the direct vicinity of the fan’s air circulation.
- Use a programmable thermostat – A programmable device is a convenient tool that helps you maintain energy-saving settings year round.
- Zone your home – These systems allow homeowners to create zones, grouping rooms together, and to manage when and how much conditioned air each zone receives.
- Ventilate your attic – Proper ventilation in the attic prevents heat gain, giving the space the means to exhaust old, warm air and supply a steady stream of fresh incoming air. It also helps to prevent moisture problems.
- Maintain your HVAC equipment – Regular maintenance will keep your heating and cooling systems operating at peak capacity, free of dirt buildup. Buildup can lead to a host of problems, including increased energy consumption, more repairs, quicker wear and early system failure. You should also change your air filters regularly to keep the system clean.
Take advantage of energy-saving actions that improve home energy efficiency. For expert advice or help, contact Arpi’s Industries today! We’ve been serving Greater Calgary-area homeowners for almost 50 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about energy efficiency and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.