Most homeowners want to get the most for their air conditioning dollars, and they don’t want to spend their money frivolously on equipment and features they don’t need. But if you’re looking to buy an A/C system this year, there are reasons for choosing high-efficiency air conditioning that make spending the extra money worthwhile.
High-efficiency air conditioners are just that – more effective at using energy to provide cool air. For example, the minimum standard set by the government for A/C manufacturing is SEER 13. Homeowners who have a system that is 10-15 years old and upgrade to a SEER 13 can save at least 35 percent on utility bills. However, an even higher SEER rating leads to more significant savings. High-efficiency A/Cs are rated between SEER 16-23.
High-efficiency air conditioning systems have many benefits, including:
- The value of your home increases because you’ve added an attractive, value-added system that potential buyers will like.
- New, high-efficiency A/C systems come with enhanced fan technology. Units with a variable-speed air handler adjust the fan speed to decrease energy costs. They also enhance comfort by providing increased humidity control.
- A system with a fan-only option allows you to ventilate without using the air conditioner. This option works well for mild days or at night.
- An auto-delay feature enhances efficiency. By using auto-delay, the A/C cycles off, but the fan continues to run for several minutes. As a result, you use less energy but still receive conditioned air.
- High-efficiency air conditioners reduce energy use, resulting in lower bills.
High-efficiency air conditioning systems are a long-term investment. They cost more upfront, but in return, you get significant savings in the areas of energy use and utility bills. Arpi’s Industries has served the Calgary area for over 45 years. Our experts are pleased to answer questions you have about high-efficiency air conditioning.