Calgary’s winters are long and bitterly cold, and your furnace works hard day and night to keep you comfortable. Constant operation over the course of a heating season takes a toll on your system, and your fall furnace inspection is essential for top efficiency each winter. Your annual tune-up benefits you in several ways:
- It increases your system’s fuel efficiency to help you save money on energy costs and lower your carbon footprint.
- It increases the safety of your system, helping to prevent dangerous carbon monoxide leaks.
- It helps prevent common problems during the coldest months of the year.
- It extends the operating life of your furnace.
If you didn’t have your fall furnace inspection last year, it’s not too late to reap these benefits. A tune-up will immediately increase system efficiency, helping you save for the duration of the heating season.
Your tune-up should be performed by a skilled technician from a reputable company to ensure excellent service and quality work, and will include these tasks:
- Apply lubrication to the motor and other moving components to prevent friction.
- Tighten electrical and gas connections.
- Inspect terminals for corrosion and the wires for damage.
- Check for potential carbon monoxide leaks.
- Measure your furnace’s burner combustion and gas pressure.
- Measure the flue gases to ensure they meet system specs.
- Inspect your ductwork for air leaks and obstructions.
- Test the controls of your furnace for proper cycling.
- Clean and inspect essential components like the fan and heat exchanger.
- Test the thermostat to ensure it’s accurate, and calibrate it if necessary.
The most important task you can do after your fall furnace inspection and tune-up is to replace your air filter when it’s dirty. A dirty filter restricts system airflow, causing overheating and related damage. A clean filter ensures a clean furnace, and helps improve your indoor air quality. Check your filter each month and replace it when you can no longer see any of the filter material behind the dust.
To schedule a furnace tune-up in the Calgary area today, please feel free to contact us at Arpi’s Industries, Ltd.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Calgary, Alberta about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about furnace inspections and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide. Image courtesy of Shutterstock