When it’s time to install new cooling or heating equipment in your Calgary home, it’s important that the installation be completed correctly and professionally. This is why your first priority should be to find a reputable HVAC contractor. To get you started, here’s a list of suggestions:
- Recommendations from friends or family — If someone you know already uses a reputable HVAC contractor, that’s a great place to start. This can reduce your search time considerably.
- Professional affiliations — Pay attention to whether or not a contractor is listed with the Better Business Bureau of Southern Alberta or the Heating Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Institute (HRAI).
- NATE certification — A reputable company should only utilize technicians who hold NATE (North American Technician Excellence) certification, which is an industry standard for knowledge and professionalism.
- Evaluation of your needs — When a contractor is hired, the first thing he or she should want to do is evaluate your home’s ductwork, energy efficiency, etc., to identify any problem areas that should be focused on.
- Use of high-efficiency equipment — If an HVAC contractor discourages you from installing high-efficiency equipment, this indicates that they’re not up-to-date with current technological advancements as they relate to energy savings.
- Physical examination — A technician should not be willing to give you an estimate over the phone. A physical examination of your home and its specific needs for your project should be required.
- Accept bids, but be careful — It is in your best interest to accept bids from several companies, but don’t immediately take one out of the running due solely to a higher price, because it might include a better warranty or other details. Also be wary of an extremely low bid.
- Consistent quality of service — The way in which a prospective HVAC technician treats you at the onset of your search will be indicative of how you’ll be treated throughout any household projects. Professionalism and courtesy are essential.
For more expert tips on choosing an HVAC contractor, or for other home comfort questions, contact the professionals at Arpi’s Industries, Ltd. We serve the HVAC needs of Calgary and the surrounding area.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Calgary, Alberta about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about HVAC contractors and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock