There are multiple ways to improve the quality of the air inside your home. High-efficiency particulate arresting (HEPA) filtration offers significant benefits over upgrading your HVAC system’s air filter efficiency. With precise control and a high efficiency, HEPA filtration deserves a second look.
You see, a standard air filter that works in combination with your heating and cooling equipment will filter out larger particles, like dust. However, its filtering capabilities must also balance airflow into the system, which higher-efficiency air filters restrict.
A HEPA filtration system, however, is a separate device that is typically installed upstream of the HVAC system, and it doesn’t interfere with airflow. A HEPA filter is also the highest-efficiency filter available on the market today, and it’s a highly sought after filtration device for people who need the cleanest air possible.
Here’s what it can do:
- Capture small particles, like dust mites, dirt, pollen and pet dander
- Filter bioaerosols, such as mold, viruses and bacteria
- Destroy odors and chemical vapors, like those from cleaning solutions and paint
HEPA filtration systems are well known for their ability to capture almost 100 percent of pollutants in the air — 99.97 percent. In addition, they can efficiently capture the tiniest of pollutants down to 0.3 microns in size. These are contaminants that standard air filters can’t touch.
How it works
Most HEPA filtration devices work like this:
- As a home’s air supply passes through the first layer of defense, a pre-filter, larger particles are captured, like dust and dirt.
- Then, the airstream moves through the HEPA filter, where smaller particles and bioaerosols become trapped.
- Finally, a carbon filter is positioned at the end of the filtering process, where odors and chemical vapors are absorbed.
With its high capabilities, HEPA filtration is one of the best solutions to improving indoor air quality and permanently removing impurities from the air. For more information about a HEPA system, contact Arpi’s Industries — serving Greater Calgary-area homeowners for almost 50 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about HEPA filtration and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.