If you want to get the most out of your home energy budget, you can’t afford to overlook effective air conditioner operation. If you do, you could end up with unnecessarily high cooling costs.
To ensure peak efficiency, follow these A/C operating tips, which will help you enjoy a comfortable home while keeping cooling costs low.
- Find a balance: The best energy-saving temperature setting for your home depends on where you and your family feel comfortable. In general, experts recommend setting an A/C to 25 degrees, so start there and work your way up or down as needed. Keep in mind, however, that the higher you can set your thermostat, the higher your energy savings will be.
- Program your absences: If you’ll be gone for a 24-hour period, shut off the A/C. However, if your home is unoccupied on a regular basis, such as for work, set your programmable thermostat for a higher setting during that time, ideally 28 degrees.
- Use your fan: If your system uses an electronically commutated motor, you can run your A/C on the fan-only option during milder temperatures, such as mornings and evenings, and save energy.
- Manage heat gain: The amount of heat from the sun that streams through your windows can drastically raise indoor temperatures, causing your A/C to consume more energy. So keep shades, draperies and blinds closed during the hottest times of day.
- Check vents regularly: To ensure optimal airflow throughout the home, make sure that your home’s vents are open and not blocked. If furniture, drapes or some other object covers the vents, you’ll limit how much cooled air will circulate throughout your home.
Use Arpi’s Industries’ top A/C operating tips to maximize your system’s potential, while keeping energy costs under wraps. For more information, in greater Calgary, just give us a call today.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more A/C operating tips and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.