Furnace filters are arguably one of the most important components that contribute to your furnace system’s overall efficiency and operation. Because Calgary winters require consistent and long-term heating to remain comfortable throughout the season, your furnace filters are hard at work behind the scenes, ensuring your comfort and energy savings.
However, it’s easy to forget about the filter because it’s out of sight and out of mind, but you might be a little more keen to change it regularly if you know just how important it is.
Once a furnace filter becomes dirty, it is no longer able to:
- Keep your system clean – Filters protect your furnace from dirt buildup, a key component to ensuring that your system operates at peak capacity. Once a filter is dirty, it can no longer protect the furnace from dirt and debris.
- Reduce energy costs – With a clean system operating at top efficiency, you’ll find that you can save energy on fuel consumption, because the system won’t have to work harder to compensate for dirt buildup.
- Maintain indoor air quality – When your filter has a clean surface space, it can trap dirt and pollutants, ensuring that they stay out of your home’s air. If dirt and pollutants exist in your home’s air, they can irritate allergies and respiratory conditions.
- Extend your system’s life span – When your furnace is protected with a clean filter, and it’s free from dirt buildup, you’ll reduce the wear and tear on the system, and its components will last longer.
- Reduce your environmental impact – If your filter is changed regularly, and it consumes less energy, you’ll lower your home’s carbon footprint.
Ensuring these benefits is as simple as changing the furnace filter, and for a low-cost investment, you get a huge return. So, check your filter monthly, and change it when you see dirt buildup.
Get the most of your furnace filters this season, and don’t forget to change them to guarantee the benefits described above. At Arpi’s Industries, our experts are happy to help homeowners evaluate their filters, and make recommendations for improving results. We’ve been serving Greater Calgary-area homeowners for almost 50 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about furnace filters and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.