Calgary winters are harsh, so you don’t want to be left in the cold when your furnace stops heating. While most heating systems are usually trouble-free, a clean, well-maintained furnace ensures efficient operation and helps keep energy bills down.
A dirty furnace wastes fuel and lowers efficiency, and dirt negatively affects the filter system, blower and the furnace motor. Not having your furnace properly cleaned each year can also reduce the service life of your equipment. When you contact an HVAC contractor for annual inspection and maintenance of your HVAC system, he or she will typically do the following:
- Check the furnace filter and clean or replace if necessary. Dirty filters not only stop removing allergens and contaminants from the air, they make your furnace work harder.
- Clean blower assembly, belts and pulleys to blower, as well as the motor housing. This involves cleaning each fan blade and the spaces between the blades, and vacuuming all loose dirt and debris from the blower, belts and pulleys. Your HVAC technician will also wipe the motor housing to prevent heat buildup.
- Inspect heat exchanger for rust and corrosion.
- Inspect burners and electrical connections and check for proper voltage and current, as well as for signs of damage or corrosion.
- Inspect and clean the furnace and central air conditioning’s drainage system, including hoses and condensate drains.
Annual furnace cleaning also involves inspection of various major elements in your HVAC system, so technicians will also typically check static air pressure, gas pressure and temperature rise to ensure your furnace is safe and functioning at optimum efficiency.
For more information about furnace cleaning from an HVAC professional in Calgary, please contact Arpi’s Industries Ltd.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Calgary, Alberta about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about furnace cleaning and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide. Image courtesy of Shutterstock