Air purification systems work behind the scenes to improve indoor air quality (IAQ) and to ease allergy symptoms caused by common indoor respiratory irritants. Purifying your indoor air can benefit everyone in your home, while increasing the comfort of sensitive family members.
- Mold. There are very few places on the planet where mold can’t grow. All it needs is moisture, enough warmth and food to thrive. Microscopic mold spores can trigger allergic or asthmatic reactions. Mold is particularly difficult to control inside HVAC system components, inside walls and in the basement.
- Pet dander. Any animal with fur or feathers can be a potential allergen that comes from the proteins in shed skin cells and saliva.
- Dust mites. Dust mites themselves are harmless microscopic spiders, but their waste can cause allergic reactions. Homes with carpeting, heavy drapery and a lot of upholstered furniture tend to have a higher dust mite population.
- Pollen. Most irritating pollen comes from inconsequential flowers, grasses, trees and shrubs, not the showy flowers associated with spring and summer. It’s easy to bring pollen indoors from clothing, hair and pet fur.
- Tobacco smoke. Although any smoke in your home is harmful, tobacco is especially dangerous because it contains tiny particles that are a challenge to trap with most air filtration systems.
Because of technological advances, there’s an air purification system available to address each of these respiratory irritants, and your HVAC system is the most effective tool for improving IAQ. Filtration and germicidal lights can control pesky irritants.
Germicidal lights use UV (ultraviolet) rays to control mold growth and can help lessen the damage from the VOCs (volatile organic compounds) found in tobacco smoke and other common household products. Some air purification devices combine both germicidal and particle control in one central unit. This is especially beneficial because UV lights also attack contagious viruses and bacteria in the air.
To learn more about the best air purification system for your home, contact Arpi’s Industries, Ltd. We’ve been providing top-notch HVAC and IAQ services for Calgary homeowners for 50 years.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Piotr Marcinski/Shutterstock”