If you’re ready to improve indoor air quality in your home, choosing the right air cleaner is the next step in the process. If you’ve never shopped for an air cleaner before, you’ll probably be surprised at the number of options available in terms of whole-house systems. Using an air cleaner to boost the air quality in your entire home will help allergy sufferers and healthy individuals alike.
The first step in choosing the right air cleaner involves learning about the pollutants that exist in the home in order to accurately choose the right technologies to combat those pollutants. It’s also helpful to know the sensitivities of allergy sufferers, if you have some in your family. Then, you can move on to choosing the air cleaner. Options include:
- High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filtration systems, which employ the best filters available on the market. They have a system with a dedicated blower that removes a portion of the home’s air as it moves through the HVAC system, purifies it, and then restores it to the air supply.
- Electronic air cleaners, which charge particles in the air, causing them to stick to collector plates
- Gas-phase filters, which employ carbon-activated materials to remove odors, as well as voltaic organic compounds (VOCs) like chemicals, paint fumes and more. Often used in front of HEPA filtration, these filters act as a pre-filter, removing larger particles, and must be replaced monthly to ensure peak efficiency.
- Ultraviolet (UV) lights, which target moulds, bacteria and viruses with their powerful UV rays, penetrating the core of a cell and destroying its reproduction capabilities
- Whole-house air purifiers, which generally combine multiple technologies, such as HEPA filtration or a high-efficiency Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value (MERV) rated filter, UV lights and an odor destroyer. This system offers the maximum protection against the gamut of contaminants that can lurk around in the home’s air.
For expert advice when it comes to choosing the right air cleaner, contact Arpi’s Industries today! We’ve served greater Calgary homeowners with quality heating and cooling equipment, expert home consultations and repairs and installations since 1963. Call today or visit our website for more information.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Calgary, Alberta about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about air cleaners and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock