Most homeowners know the value of using a programmable thermostat. But if you’re buying one for the first time, or upgrading your device, you might be surprised at the variety that’s available. With this easy guide, you can buy a programmable thermostat that suits your lifestyle, and ensure maximum energy savings.
The basic premise of a programmable thermostat allows you to dial down temperatures in the winter and raise them a few degrees in summer when you’re not at home or when you’re sleeping. Using the thermostat effectively requires that you match the programmed settings to your comings and goings. That’s why choosing the right device is so critical—and sometimes confusing.
Make sure it’s compatible
There is a variety of home heating and cooling equipment available, and you should be able to find a programmable thermostat that’s compatible with yours. Depending on your equipment, you may want to consider:
- A device that is compatible with a single-stage HVAC system
- A thermostat that will work with a two-stage system or a multiple-stage heating and cooling system
- Models that are compatible with your home’s electrical wiring, as older homes in particular require a thermostat that can accommodate unique needs
Consider programming options
Once you match your equipment and wiring, you can narrow down your choice by selecting a device that meets your lifestyles needs:
- If your schedule varies widely from day to day, choose a 7-day device that will allow you to set a different program every day of the week.
- If your schedule stays the same during the week, choose a 5-1-1 model that offers a single setting for weekdays, but two different settings for weekends.
- If you keep the same schedule on the weekends and the same schedule on weekdays, select a 5-2 model.
- If your schedule hardly varies at all, you can get by with a low-cost one-week device that offers just one programming schedule.
At Arpi’s Industries, we know the value that programmable thermostats offer, and our guide for homeowners will help you buy a programmable thermostat that will maximize your ROI year after year. Contact us today!
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about programmable thermostats and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.