If you’re experiencing furnace problems, it can seem like a major catastrophe. Fortunately, if you’ve got a reliable HVAC contractor, your system can be up and running again in no time. Here are three common furnace problems that an expert can address in order to quickly restore your home comfort levels.
If you’re experiencing any of these problems, contact a professional. Be mindful, however, that many of these issues can be prevented through regular HVAC maintenance:
1. The furnace burner keeps cycling on and off
When your furnace burner continues to cycle on and off as the furnace blower continues running, there’s a good chance that a professional will need to address the issue. There are several common causes that your technician will troubleshoot for before diagnosing and fixing your equipment. The culprit may be:
- An over-sized gas burner – This sends heat energy into your furnace too fast for the blower to extract it.
- Dirty or clogged furnace filter – This restricts air flow across the heat exchanger.
- Improper furnace control settings – Your technician can check to ensure that the settings are correct and functioning properly.
2. Reduced air flow
If you’ve noticed a significant decrease in the amount of heated air coming through your heat supply registers, it could be due to furnace problems like:
- Dirty, clogged or damaged air filters
- A dirty blower fan or a loose fan belt
- A collapsed or blocked duct system
- The cooling coil is blocked by dirt or other debris (in combined heating/cooling systems)
- Inadequate return air supply (if air flow has always seemed poor)
3. No air flow
Even more frustrating than a reduction of airflow is a total lack of heated air coming from your supply registers, despite a seemingly functional furnace burner. This may be due to:
- The blower fan motor or fan itself failing
- A complete blockage or disconnection of your duct system
- A furnace that is no longer running at all
To schedule a technician to correct your furnace problems, contact us at Arpi’s Industries, Ltd. We proudly serve residents of Calgary and its surrounding areas.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Calgary, Alberta about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about furnace problems and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock