Heating water makes up the largest chunk of your utility bill after heating and cooling. That means your water heater could be the reason behind your high monthly utility bills. Fortunately, you can tweak its setup, perform several maintenance tasks, and change your hot water usage habits to get savings. Here are some effective ways to save on your water heating bill.
- Adjust the thermostat – Turn down your water heater to around 48 degrees to decrease your energy consumption as well as your risk of burns.
- Reduce your hot water use – A sure way of cutting hot water costs is by using less of it. Take short showers, wash most loads of laundry in cold water, use cold water instead of warm water for the rinse cycle, and only run your dishwasher when you have a full load.
- Install low-flow showerheads and faucets – Modern low-flow fixtures can use less than half as much water as older models.
- Drain your water heater – The sediment that naturally builds up in the tanks of water heaters reduces their efficiency. Drain your holding tank annually to keep your water heater running efficiently.
- Insulate your water heater – If you have an older water heater, it’s probably not well insulated. If its R-value is less than 24, wrap the tank with an insulation blanket.
- Insulate your water pipes – Covering the first few feet of the pipes coming out of your water heater minimizes heat loss as water moves to your faucets. As a result, it will take less time for the water to heat up, saving energy and money.
- Consider installing a new water heater – Tankless or on-demand water heaters cost significantly less to operate than conventional storage models.
As you drive your energy costs down with these tips, you’ll also extend your water heater’s life and play your role as a global citizen in the conservation of natural resources. For more ways to reduce your water heating bill, please contact us at Arpi’s Industries. We’ve served the Calgary area for over fifty years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Calgary, Alberta about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about how to save money on your water heating bill and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Guide.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “metsi/Pixabay”