Residential boilers are sturdy and reliable, but they can develop problems like any other heating system. Boiler maintenance and repair should be handled by a qualified HVAC professional to ensure safe and efficient operation. Here are some of the more common boiler problems that you’ll need to call on your HVAC pro to fix:
- Abrupt shut-offs: Some problems can cause a boiler to shut off abruptly and unexpectedly. Low water pressure is a common cause, as is a malfunctioning thermostat. A malfunctioning pump, air in the system, or a frozen condensate pipe can also cause a boiler to shut off.
- Pilot light problems: The pilot light is needed to ignite the fuel that heats the water inside the boiler. A damaged or malfunctioning thermocouple is the most common reason for consistent problems with pilot lights going out. Deposits that have built up on the pilot light over time can also cause it to go out or work incorrectly. Make sure there are no sources of wind that could be strong enough to blow the pilot light out.
- Water leaks: Water leaks or consistent drips can result from broken seals, damaged pipes, loose or worn connections, or broken pressure valves. Corrosion can cause damage around pipe connections that lead to leaks. Leaks can occur around pressure valves if the internal pressure of the boiler is too high.
- Unusual noises: Odd noises inside the boiler, such as gurgling or bubbling, can mean the internal pressure is too low. A specific kind of noise called kettling sounds like water boiling inside a kettle on the stove. This is caused by a build-up of scale or sludge on the heat exchanger. Water inside the boiler gets too hot and makes the boiling sound associated with kettling.
- Lack of hot water: A malfunctioning thermostat can prevent the boiler from creating enough hot water to heat your home.
Arpi’s Industries Ltd. provides plumbing, heating, and cooling services to customers in Calgary and surrounding areas. Contact us today for more information on boiler problems and for the expertise you need to repair your boiler quickly and safely.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Calgary, Alberta about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about boilers and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Guide.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “HypnoArt/Pixabay”