HVAC spring cleaning might seem like a strange idea at first. However, once you start considering how much of your home’s air flows through your HVAC system, you’ll see why cleaning it out is important. HVAC spring cleaning not only helps you get rid of the dust and allergens that can accumulate in your ducts, it also helps extend the life of your entire system.
Getting started with HVAC spring cleaning is simple. Just follow these steps to a cleaner HVAC system:
- Clean your air return vents. As your HVAC system pulls air up through the air return, dust and other pollutants get trapped in the vents. Most of the dust can be cleaned with a vacuum. Simply use your vacuum hose to suck the dust off the vents. You can use a small brush attachment on the vacuum hose to loosen any stubborn dust. If need be, you can finish by using a cleaning cloth to scrub any stuck-on dirt (wrap it around a long, narrow stick, butter knife, etc. to get in particularly tight spaces).
- Check your air filter inside the air return. If it’s dirty, you can either replace it or clean it if it’s reusable.
- Clean your supply vents. Just like your return vents, the vents where air flows into your house can accumulate dust and grime. You can clean them the same way you clean air return vents.
- Clean your outside unit. Remove any leaves, debris, or plants around the base of the unit to make sure there’s clear air flow. Use a soft-bristled brush attachment on your vacuum hose to gently clean the outside of the unit. Be very careful not to bend the metal fins.
- Schedule a duct cleaning and HVAC checkup. Your HVAC professional can get to the inside of your ducts and the internal components of your system that you can’t reach. They can also make sure your cooling system is ready to work after its winter break.
For more information about HVAC spring cleaning, contact Arpi’s today. We’re always eager to help Calgary homeowners with their HVAC questions and concerns.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Calgary, Alberta about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about spring cleaning and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Guide.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Africa Studio/Shutterstock”