Tankless water heaters offer many advantages over their traditional tank counterparts, ranging from greater environmental friendliness to claims of an endless supply of hot water. That sounds great, but what are the drawbacks? As with anything, there is no one-size-fits-all solution, and it’s important to understand these primary pros and cons of going tankless to ensure the proper fit for your household.
Tankless Water Heater Advantages
Unparalleled energy efficiency is the tankless water heater’s chief advantage. It doesn’t have standby costs – that is, it warms water on demand without wasting energy for heat when it’s not currently needed. On-demand supply allows hot water applications such as laundry, dishes or showers to occur back-to-back without waiting for a tank to refill and reheat. Tankless water heaters also boast a greater lifespan than traditional tank heaters, and take up far less space.
Drawbacks of Tankless Water Heaters
Before you commit to buying a tankless water heater, the primary drawbacks to know include:
- Higher upfront costs. Tankless water heaters are, on average, quite a bit more expensive to buy and install than tank water heaters.
- Access to fuel. Whether your new water heater runs on gas or electricity, new lines may have to be established in order to accommodate the new unit(s).
- Water softener requirements. In hard-water areas such as Calgary, a tankless water heater should only be used in conjunction with a water softener. Hard-water minerals cause scale to build quickly inside the heater, significantly affecting function and efficiency.
- Flow rate limitations. Tankless water heaters typically provide between 7.5 and 15 litres of hot water per minute. Smaller heaters can’t supply multiple hot water applications at once.
- Need for multiple units. Some tankless hot water heaters service an entire home, but the flow rate may limit effectiveness in large, busy households. It may be necessary to buy smaller water heaters for each hot water tap.
For more information on available water heater options for your Calgary home, contact us at Arpi’s Industries. We provide a full range of HVAC water heating products and services for all your home comfort needs.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Calgary, Alberta about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about tankless water heaters and other HVAC topics, talk to an Arpi’s technician today. Credit/Copyright Attribution: “typographyimages/Pixabay”