Fall is nearly here, and as the seasons change, it’s time to look toward preparing your furnace for the upcoming Calgary winter. A thorough furnace tuneup and inspection will make sure your heating system is ready to keep your home comfortable as temperatures drop. It will also help you save money by keeping your furnace clean and in top condition, which improves overall efficiency, cuts energy waste and reduces the need for more expensive repairs in the future.
Most furnace tuneup tasks should be done by a professional technician from your local trusted HVAC provider, but there are a few things you can do on your own. This will save time for the technician and allow him to concentrate on technical and safety issues. You can:
- Change the system’s filters: Clean filters promote airflow and help keep your indoor air clear of particles and contaminants. Start the season with fresh filters, then check them every month and change them if the get dirty.
- Clean registers and vents: Sweep away accumulated dust, lint, cobwebs or other debris at supply and return registers.
- Check and clean blower: Clean away dust and dirt from the blower.
During a furnace tune-up, your HVAC technician will check your furnace and heating system thoroughly, including the ductwork and internal components of the furnace itself. He will look for small malfunctions and parts that should be replaced. He will also:
- Lubricate motors, fans and moving parts
- Clean the combustion chamber
- Clean, adjust and test burners and ignition system
- Test the thermocouple
- Adjust the thermostat
- Tighten loose components, belts and electrical connections
- Check electrical issues such as voltage and amperage
- Check and adjust safety controls
- Check heat exchanger for cracks
- Check fuel lines or electrical power supply
- Inspect and test flue and vents to make sure carbon monoxide is safely vented away
Arpi’s Industries Ltd. is backed by almost 50 years of experience as a leading provider of expert heating, cooling and home comfort services to customers in Calgary and the surrounding areas. Contact us today for more information on furnace tuneups or to schedule heating system maintenance at your convenience.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Calgary, Alberta about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about furnace tuneups and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock